Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflective Journal 1

The spring semester begins and I am engaged in two classes in the E Learning Certificate program at UofW Stout. This ongoing process is beginning to be second nature for me, the first two classes I took in the fall went very, very well. So, as a part of EDUC762 I will be regularly blogging. I have attempted blogging in the past and, like past journaling efforts, it has not been real consistent.

I am very hopeful about this effort, however, as there seems to be what Susan Manning calls "magic fairy dust" in the program and process at UofW.

Module 1

I found this introductory material excellent. As a type A I started early and located a classmate to complete the pair - share introduction. This is the first time I have been exposed to this type of collaborative effort for an introduction in the first week of an online class and I am looking forward to both the process and result. This type of activity is very revealing about my learning style and personality. I very much like to get on with it, and the process of adjusting that pace to work with another is a challenge. But it is a good challenge.

The overview activities in module 1 included some material that was new to me dealing with assessment. I think the most notable information for me was the distinction between measurement, assessment and evaluation. At my institution assessment has become a very significant topic and I think that perhaps my colleagues are blurring the important differences between assessment and evaluation. In any event, I am looking forward to understanding more about the differences between these concepts.

Three specifics in this week's readings appealed to my objective to improve my instruction.

First was the discussion of alternative assessment (such as think one). I have been striving to incorporate these types of assessments into my classes over the past 15 years and I am anxious to evaluate how will I have done that and, more importantly to improve the way I use alternative assessment. One of our readings discussed authentic types of assessment and I think that this is key. As I strive for authentic learning experience, it only makes sense to parallel that with authentic assessment rather than scantron tests.

The second topic was wiki. I really got turned onto this last semester in EDUC 760 and I see great potential in the use of wiki to both build learning community and to perhaps assess in alternative ways.

The third activity was an introductory activity called pair and share. Below is an excerpt from the e mail exchange with my partner:

'With your background in online learning and teaching you know the costs and benefits (see subtle economics at work) of online education. As type A personalities we thrive in the online world. As you have found I am certain, the challenge is to assist those who are deadline junkies or how do not have a formal organization for their learning or lives. Those who live in the chaos of the real world and lack the internal mechanisms to self regulate and schedule often get left behind in online environments . . . unless those online worlds are facebook or second life.

Well, as you can tell, I love to talk so . . . I'll leave you alone.

I think we have "processed" this activity and can move on to the discussion forum.

See you over their with postings on our informal process.

Great to meet you and I actually like this activity - while I am not certain it would work with my online students - freshman and women in college, I do think it has great potential for participants in professional development or graduate programs.

Look forward to working with you in the cyberspace of this class community."


Finally, (ok I peaked ahead to module 2 to write this) is the use of blogs. I have attempted blogging (I have 3 other blogs in blogger that have minimal activity) with little success. Although I am an avid fan of blogging and regularly follow a number of economics blogs my efforts have not been sustained. We will see how this evolves as a result of this class.

Great first week of class.

Greg/Az



Related links

Student Assessment at MCC

Think Pair Share You Tube

E Learning for Educators Wiki

No comments: