Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Reflective Journal 6

Module 6 - this week my reflection will focus on the readings. Outstanding set of ideas and I found I connected with these 3 readings.

Cybercoaching - this was wonderful, although I did skip the material at the end of the article, it seemed to focus on writing.

Ok, the components of the model - cyberspace + coaching = cybercoaching was a great way to illustrate a process that I have intuitively been moving toward. I love the feedback model, the notion that as a facilitator I can intervene (formatively assess and realign) my students to help them achieve their goals within the constraints of the learning environment.

The key point raised about cyber (3) was the relationship that encourages a two way feedback mechanism. This ZPD concept really makes sense, not only for exercise science, or languages but economics.

Interestingly page 5 ended with a difference in perception between faculty and students on the promptness of the feedback, in a 2004 study. This is not surprising given the gulf that I have seen between points of view in the profession and our students, and the profession can well be as biased as our students.

The Harmonic Feedback Look was a great way to integrate the complex components of instruction in a way that makes sense and relates to the coaching model.

I also found the Datta Kaur, 2001 paper to be very relevant. Her survey of the literature was very, very well done and the Rheingold description of virtual learning communities was dead on when he wrote of successful online communities:

1. Possessing a sprint of group creative, experimentation, exploration, and goodwill.

2. Authentic conversation - from the heat, the heart and the gut.

3. A gift economy for knowledge-sharing.

On page 10 of Datta Kaur I alsom related to "real -time community"

1. net-gener
2. facilitator
3. excitement and possibilites


Page 16 - "Similar to a host of a party, the optinal online teacher invites you into his/her 'home' shaing . . . personal views and values. . . "

The Brandon article was very relevant to my instructional design course and the list of url references was excellent.

No comments: