Monday, January 14, 2008

Reflective Journal 4

Week 4 - wow!

Our engagement as a class online continues to astound. I am so impressed and inspired by my classmates and their commitment to engagement. We have such a diversity of perspective, background and knowledge and they have combined in an online world of discussion, debate, support and respectful analysis.

The complexity and attendant challenge of assessment is continuing to engage and challenge me. The readings this week, in the context of our readings reminds me that the process of designing, delivering and assessing instruction is indeed daunting, particularly in an online environment.

Our midterm collaboration is a real learning experience. As I mentioned last week, I little friction has developed between another type A in the group and me. This is a humbling and challenging situation, trying to constructively resolve conflict can be a real difficulty for me. On the positive side, this conflict reflects the authenticity, diversity and learner centered nature of our collaboration. I have found little conflict in the artificial world, I mean, who cares. But conflict always suggests authenticity, so this reflects the level of investment in this project between by group mate and myself. The diversity at the heart of real assessment is here - not only in the differences between how I respond to this conflict, but in the manner the other individuals in the group respond and finally how our group responds.

This is exciting, in a weird way. The learning community that is Group 3 is evolving and teaching me a lesson I am working hard to understand.

Another positive to the constructive conflict in the group collaboration is the reinforcement this gives me to consider how my students will react. These feelings of frustration, less than, confusion, and helplessness will also characterize learners involved in conflict and the less mature learners may respond by withdrawal from the community. This is a key lesson from this experience to remember.

As to the midterm project itself - I feel pleased with my contribution and I am eagerly anticipating both my teammate's work as well as the final project. This last component is, at the heart of the disagreement or conflict in my group. Ironic, since the final project is the least important part of the process. Oh, when will I learn?

I have continued with E Learning for Educator blogging for the class and the additional surveys the are generating interesting and hopefully useful information.

Greg@AZ

No comments: