Monday, January 14, 2008

Reflective Journal 5

This post is a reflection of my work in both EDUC 762 - Online Assessment and EDUC 761 - Collaborative Communities.

A great week. The two applied activities in EDUC 762 Online Assessment were outstanding and I will certainly incorporate both into my online instruction. Our small group module 2 over in collaborating communities was also a wonderful way to experience a technique that might well facilitate online community building. In a wonderful way, these two classes are complimentary and are synergistic. (I hope that this syntax and structure is appropriate. As this is an open blob, if you are a Noam Chomsky fan [I am not] feel free to correct or clarify)

My EDUC 762 activity involved a participant/student evaluation and revision of the final project rubric. This was fantastic. I was very interested in the reaction of my classmates to both the post I made over in the class course site. I suspect that, as the semester winds down, they are feeling pressure and stress.

I find that, acting as a student in a class like this, I am able to more identify with the pressures and confusion that my students may experience.

The analysis of Bloom's taxonomy informed my thinking about the topics I was reading about in both classes. In particular, the notion that level of taxonomy can affect both authenticity and act as a cost to "cheating" and a benefit to "not cheating" is one I will need to continue to reflect on. In fact, the complexity of the connections between Bloom, "cheating", online community building and authenticity are compel me to follow my classmate Bill Demory in remaining humble and seeking further development.

I continue to be amazed at the discussions in my two classes and the way that they are intersecting.

For example, a classmate over in EDUC 761 wrote this week

I certainly feel at a disadvantage in the beginning of an online course. I usually refer back to the Introductions frequently at first and I try to interact with two to three people a day. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm sure open to them

I responded


I find myself in the same position you describe . . . for the first week or so. Then I can associate the tone and texture of the discussion postings with my classmates. If you think about our class, classmate A's postings are distinctive and unique and very different from, say classmate Bs postings. Instructor X's approach to posting is much different from Instructor Y, at least to my ear in terms of tone and approach.

Having said that, I have found that in wiki discussion threads or in other platforms such as moodle or VoiceThread, the poster's picture appears next to the post or reply.

This is very, very helpful - although it raises other issues, which are currently being discussed by a number of us offline now. Further information about this issue or a platform for you to post your own thoughts is over on the public blog
E Learning for Educators


(note the shameless effort to promote public discussion over here)

I think that the exchange above (another shameless act - imitation of the format of two books on online learning by Pratt/Palloff and Lehmann) is significant as we all consider the issues of authenticity, diversity, our own teaching style and online community building.

No comments: