Sunday, January 13, 2008

Reflective Journal 3

Week three in EDUC 763 and we are rocking and rolling. I continue to be amazed and inspired by the quantity and quality of engagement by my colleagues. The discussion is varied, provocative, stimulating and reflects the diversity of educational philosophy, orientation toward learning and use of instructional technology.

The continuing discussion and response of my colleagues is in some contrast to one of my UofW certification classes last semester. In that fall class, evidently one of the participants off line contacted the instructor expressing frustration at the quantity of posting and replying in that class which, as an aside, was about 50 per cent of our class. The instructor made a remarkable decision and implemented a private e mail to a number of the more active posters (obviously I was one) asking that we reduce or even stop posting after a minimum of engagement.

I was stunned, as an teacher (online or face to face) it seems that of the number of approaches one might take to engagement, asking to reduce or stop is an odd choice.

Contrast that with this class, in which participants openly share their own reflection about the level of discussion, find reassurance with classmates and the instructor, and the engagement and discussion is allowed to continue.

I suspect that the emerging learning community in our class has more trust and those classmates who may feel frustrated or insecure have the confidence to express these feelings and the instructor is both strong and flexible enough to support diversity in the use of discussion online and still promote the organic level of discussion and engagement that the community and its members seek.

I was a tad disappointed with feedback from the instructor. I began our class early and invested considerable time and energy in my completion of module 1 activities. When the feedback was posted for module 1 near the end of our second module, one of my four "assignments" received a 0. I had completed a wiki activity, but in completing it so early in the class it had been overlooked by the instructor. The feedback sent was very kind and she did indicate I would earn credit for the assignment if I could point her to it (which I did do) or if I would go to the wiki and complete (which I also did do).

This was actually a another teaching moment - it reinforced to me my need to model my online teaching on that of the current teacher in terms of thoughtfulness and kindness, on Den O Connor in terms of quick turn around time in communication and finally on Susan Manning, in terms of organization and use of functionality of the CMS under use. My current instructor does not make use of the CMS gradebook for feedback and I think that the continuum of instructional approaches here in the Graduate Certificate program is a strength of the program - allowing participants to experience a wide array of approaches.

I must say, my feeling was a bit down after receiving my module 1 feedback (6/8) and I am certain I will earn credit for the wiki assignment, my reaction was surprising to me. I have considered myself intrinsically motivated, my reaction to module 1 feedback seems to suggest otherwise. Oh, well.

Midterm


Our midterm is a collaborative activity and I have been paired with 4 talented colleagues in class. I am so pleased to have avoided 2 participants who I encountered in the fall, 2007 classes. One of these participants starts late, has a bunch of excuses, and adds little in the way of value. But on the positive note, my group members are outstanding. I know one from the fall, 2007 classes and the other two, who I have come to know in this class, are truly committed professionals. The midterm should be a positive experience, it is a jigsaw activity and I am researching wiki and assessment.

I indicate my comments about my 4 teammates in my team evaluation. Pat and Kris are a delight to work with. Kris and I shared 2 classes in the fall, 2007 semester so when she was inadvertently left off a team for the midterm I immediately jumped in a and indicated that Group 3 (my team) would love to have her as a colleage. Marsha has been very busy, I expect she will quietly and efficiently be a major contributor. Deb is the ying to my yang. We have already encountered some constructive disagreement, indicating that this group activity is authentic. I will say, she is a tad of a control freak, making the wiki (she set it up as the sole administrator, leaving the rest of her team without admin privileges) private, a decision I still question, given the power of wiki.

Having said that, I appreciate Deb's work pace and initiative, she and I are on the same page. It did take Deb a while to get Kris added as a full member to our wiki, but once that happened we were good to go.

Ok, having said that, I will comment on the concept mapping and the effort involved in learning a new tool. Inspiration has wonderful functionality - I included audio in my map which my classmates can choose to listen to over in the EDUC 763 course site. The map for the module 3 assignment is uploaded as a comment or reply to this posting and as a unique post as well. Honestly, not worth the effort. I could do the same think in word using the drawing tool in 3 minutes, the 2 hours I invested (and it is worth the investment, the functionality in Inspiration is cool) will never be used my me in any setting.



The 4 storms outlined in The Perfect E Storm reading - while dated - are worth reflection. In particular the convergence of emerging technology(see the Horizon Report - 2008) with enormous demand by learners in the context of limited resources suggests that we may face a crisis of significant proportions down the road.

Of note, the above article listed 30 emerging technologies and number 3 was blogs, number 8 was digital portfolios (read wiki anyone?) and number 21 Peer to Peer collaboration (again read wiki) suggests that as a profession, we need to first be more alert to this emerging technology and two think how we react to them.

Page 12 of The Perfect Storm began to talk about Online Communities of Learning (which is what we have formed) and Communities of Practice. This is both exciting and challenging as our profession will need to change the way we look at the physical and intellectual boundaries of teaching and learning.

OK, another reflection that is too long and incomplete.

Greg@Az

No comments: